Zebra Quests - FAMILY STYLE! Learning takes place every day in so many ways. Each month, I will list a special family quest. This could be something like going on a hike, reading a book together, visiting a museum, or playing a game. So moms, dads, grandparents, siblings... gather a group and let's learn together!
Take a picture of your family completing the monthly quest and drop it off in the Zebra box for credit. These will be counted toward membership in our hall of fame.
If you have an idea for a monthly quest, please let me know. I am always looking for new ideas!
This month, take some time to learn about your family. There are many different things you can do to learn and celebrate your own unique history. Below is a list of ideas. Choose one or more to complete together. Or do an activity of your own to celebrate you and your family.
- Create a family tree if your family does not have one
- Ask for family members to write down stories about their lives or specific events they have lived through
- Compile these stories into a family history book
- Collect photos of your family members and create a scrapbook
- Create a birthday calendar and add all the family member's birthdays. Send a card or email this year to each member wishing them a happy birthday!
- Create a family recipe book
This month, take some time to learn about where produce comes from. There are many places to visit where you and your family can "harvest" your own fruit or vegetables. Take time this month to discover if anyone in your family has a garden. Discover if anyone in your family ever owned a farm? Discover what it would be like to be a farmer. Below is a list of additional items you can do this month together. Choose one or more to complete.
- Visit a pumpkin patch and pick your own pumpkins
- Visit an orchard to harvest your own apples or peaches
- Visit a farm, what other produce can you pick on your own?
- Learn how to grow various items
- Plan a garden
- Learn what fruits and veggies grow during various seasons
This month we think about all the things that we have to be grateful for. However, there are also many that need our help and are struggling. This is our first community service project. I hope to see all of my students and their amazing families at this event! However, there are many ways to become involved in one's community, choose one of the items below or pick one of your own.
- Join Mrs. Poland and family at the MS Walk for a Cure on Nov 5 at the Phoenix Zoo & Botanical Gardens (Free admission to the zoo all day after the walk for participants.)
- Choose another walk to attend
- Work at a shelter
- Clean a park
- Donate items to those in need
This month's quest came as a request from a student. I always love when the students and families come up with a great idea! December is a month of many traditions for a lot of different cultures. This month, we have a few different challenges for you to choose from in addition to the requested Gingerbread House Contest.
- Read a fun holiday book as a family (My family is reading The Christmas Carol.)
- Record your traditions in a book; discuss how traditions have changed (or not changed) over time
- Learn about other holidays celebrated during this time; why do different cultures celebrate different things?
- Learn about the symbols of the seasons
- Enter the gingerbread house contest! Please bring your Gingerbread house on Friday, December 16. They can be as elaborate or as simple as you would like (see examples).