Did you ever wonder where the news came from?
How people received news in the past?
What news is?
Extra, Extra! Read all about it! You will journey back in time to learn about the history of the newspaper and the revolution it has gone through to become what it is today. Explore all you can, as you will soon be creating your own newspaper!
Brief History of Newspapers
1. Where was the first newspaper in the world created?
2. Who created the first newspaper in America? What was the name of it?
3. How many different newspapers were in circulation in the 1800’s?
History of American Newspapers
1. Name five different newspapers created in the 1700’s?
2. What are muckrakers?
History of the Penny Press
1. What was the Penny Press? Why was it created? Who did it benefit?
2. What was the main source of income for this newspaper?
3. What information was used to make the paper more appealing to the public?
The Printing Press
1. What is the printing press? Who invented it?
2. Name two positive impacts the printing press had on the country.
Newspaper Writing 101
1. What is the lead of a news article? How is it different from a regular “story”?
2. What are the six questions every news article should answer?
Writing in Newspaper Style
1. What are the three main reasons news articles are written in a “newspaper” style?
*The above information originated from Mrs. Raude's Classroom